I'll never capitalize cancer

I have alot going on in my life, more than just cancer and chemo. Sure it's a big part of my life right now, but it's not the most important part of my life. You will never see me spell it with a capital "c".

I'm a Wife and Mom. I love my Family. I have good Friends. We do fun stuff and dumb stuff and sometimes we argue and then we laugh again. We go to work and to the grocery store and we go swimming and have birthday parties and get ready for the first day of school.

I keep saying that I don't want ovarian cancer to define me, but sometimes I just can't help it.

A good friend put it this way for me "cancer may be defining your life for the moment, but it is not your entire life. You seem to just make time for it." That made me feel better.

If you want to see it from the beginning, my cancer story begins in March.

The rest of my story is happening now.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

A funny thing happened on the way to Chemo ...

Actually, funny stuff happens all the time. Well, maybe not so funny to anyone else - I suppose it's all in the way you look at it.

I'm at
MD Anderson today. It's one of my long days. That means I will have a 4 hour chemotherapy treatment. Before my treatment I have to get my labs (blood test) then I go to my chemo. There are several chemo treatment areas throughout MD Anderson. I get my labs done in the Main building and today my chemo is in the Mays clinic.

I had been reading an article in Southern Living magazine and hadn't finished it before my blood test so I took it with me and headed over to the shuttle to ride over to the other building. Now, you have to imagine MD Anderson as a kind of city with hundreds of Doctors in lab coats and patients with their families and administrators and support staff all walking around. It's really amazing.

I was sitting on the shuttle, it's like a big golf cart, next to someone in a white lab coat and she noticed the cover of my magazine had a picture of a delicious chocolate cake with ganache filling. She said, "Oh my, that cake looks absolutely deadly." I couldn't help but giggle and she asked me why. "Deadly? That's just a funny word to be using around here, don't you think?"

0 comments: